Sunday, November 27, 2011

Giving Thanks

Over the years, we have been blessed to have been with some fantastic friends that make missing our families at Thanksgiving a distant thought.  But this year, everything changes.  You see, we are stationed in the Seattle-area, meaning that we are stationed near my mom's side of the family.  My grandmother, aunts, uncles, and loads of cousins all live within a two hour drive of our home.  So this year, we had a Thanksgiving celebration complete with lots of family surrounding us.

On Wednesday, we drove over the hills and through the woods to my grandma's house.  We woke up Thanksgiving morning and I learned how to make her homemade pie crust and her famous apple pie.  We had a great time in the kitchen together and even got the girls involved in some of the smaller tasks.  Later in the afternoon, we drove down to my aunt's house to meet up with the rest of the family.  We ate and laughed and enjoyed one another's company. 



Friday morning we lounged around my grandma's house and visited some more.  I am so thankful that my girls have this opportunity to get to know their great-grandma.  Later on in the afternoon, we headed on back home so that I could get a move on my homework.  Sticking with our promise of eating cleaner and more local, we ordered a fresh turkey from the Tacoma Food Co-op.  And since Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving if you don't have leftovers for days, we cooked up another mini-Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.  Our bird came out so lovely; it was a little more on the game tasting side, which was a wonderful surprise.  I'm thinking this will be the way we go from here on out. 


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!