Sunday, December 18, 2011

How Lovely Are Thy Branches

I love decorating for Christmas!  The slow transformation of our home to a place of celebration is so much fun.  I especially love putting up the Christmas tree because I get to enjoy all of our ornaments and tell the girls stories about them.


A few weeks ago, I was on Facebook talking with Ronnie's cousin who is putting up her first family Christmas tree and told her about our tree.  You see, we collect Christmas ornaments from all over: where we live, where we work, where we visit, and just some that tickle our fancy.  In 11 years, we have been a lot of different places and our tree is a memory tree. Ronnie and I have our collection and we have started collections for both the girls.  We have a John Deere tractor, Princess castles, Disney mementos, and first ornaments the girls made.  Airplanes, and blown glass, and glass slippers.  Stars, and Santas, and bells to give angels their wings. A black Santa riding an aligator and a cactus with Christmas lights. 
As I was enjoying my coffee and the view of my tree this morning, I realized the light was perfect to capture some of the ornaments.  So, here is a tour of our life: 


on the left, an ornament my Auntie Martina made me; on the right, my poinsettia from Kim Frankel


An A-10 bullet casing, Holly's handprint, and Sarah's voodoo doll from NOLA 


Nutcracker from 2010 Seoul Nutcracker performance, Tibetan prayer wheel, John Deere Tractor from Oklahoma and a medal from the top of the Great Wall of China, and ballerina from 2011 Seattle Nutcracker performance


Cowboy from Texas, Vegas sign from 2008 trip, and a embroidered ball from Chiang Mai, Thailand