Monday, July 16, 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week 29

Did you find anything or anyone to which/whom you can donate your time?  And how as that no sugar challenge?

I have been really lucky, though I don't think I have announced it here yet...  I am working again.  Funny story but the short of it is that I am back working at the Ed Office doing the SAME job I did while we were in Korea.  CRAZY HUH?  I know, going to school full time and working, even if it's part time is stretching myself thin.  But the Ed Office at McChord is on the third floor... the library is on the first.  No excuses not having a quiet place to study or the ability to get books from here until I graduate now. 

Right now, the library is hosting the summer reading program. I have had the girls enrolled in this awesome program for the last three years and they absolutely love it.  And I love that they love it!  So, I made it my pet project for the week.  I snuck downstairs last week on my lunch hours and helped out, as hold monthly events and needed some extra hands getting the goodies together for the kids.   I stuffed goody bags, unwrapped and sorted prizes, and put lots of stamps on lots of postcards. 

I almost feel like I cheated on the sugar thing.  I have be consciously reducing my sugar intake for months.  While I am better than I was, I am far from being where I would like to be.  One very successful thing I have done is switch out the sugar in my coffee with maple sugar (read about it here).  It is twice as sweet as regular sugar, therefore I don't need as much.  I only use a 1/4 tsp in my morning cuppa coffee.  Here is why it's also good: 1 tsp of maple sugar is roughly the same nutritional value as sugar.  So twice the sweetening power and less of it - I'm in! 

On to week 29!  This week's challenge is to just say no.  Be honest now: when we had the challenge to volunteer your time or spend more time working out was your first reaction "when the heck am I going to fit that in?"  Then listen up, this will help you carve out time for yourself. 

There are some really interesting points made by the author, the first of which that it's easier to say yes and than it is to say no.  Hmmm, Interesting point.  How many times have I just said okay, even if it was half-hearted and secretly resentful?  Too many.  What about the kids - how many activities do we as parents put them in because "it's a good thing" without thinking what will have to fall because you don't have time in the family schedule. 

Not saying no leads to rushing around with no time to yourself, your family.  Not saying no can lead to adding more stress to your life, and we all know what being overly stressed can do to you.  The challenge this week is to really examine your obligations and see which ones you are doing "just because it was easier to say yes."   It's a really good question and challenge.  I'll be reflecting this week - I hope you will be too. 

Other Resources:
The Overbooked Child: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200301/the-overbooked-child

When and How to Say No: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-relief/SR00039/

The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Cha"nges-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes