Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Break Refill

This post is going to start off with some whining...  Only because to understand what we did and why, you have to understand what we didn't do. 

Usually when military members are deployed over 250+ days, they get a few weeks break around the halfway point.  That is, unless you are with an Army unit...  then you are subject to their rules.  Meaning, the R&R that we thought we would have with Ronnie would not come to fruition.  Luckily, we found out about this change in policy and dealt with it as a family before he left.  Still, I couldn't hide my disappointment and frustration anytime the halfway point was brought up, knowing that we were being denied something we should have had. I had even planned an AWESOME trip for us. 

Being the ever supportive husband, Ronnie suggested we do something fun, just for us girls.  After the I don't want to do anything fun because it won't be with you temper tantrum I threw, he quietly suggested a trip to see friends.  I listened... and quickly decided on Texas as our destination.  Because if I wasn't going to have my husband home, I needed my "family" around me to help fill the void. 

We spent a full week in Texas visiting our "family."  First up, a visit to the Milks in San Antonio!  Oh, how I love this family!!!   And miss them greatly.  We spent four days with them and went to Sea World for a day, hung around the house, but best of all, we spent Easter Sunday with them.  There is nothing like having family around for a holiday.  And best of all, they helped fill a hole in my heart. 




All too soon, it was time to say goodbye to the Milks, but it was time to head north.  Next stop, Wichita Falls.   There was just something about landing in Dallas and then driving north on 287 that just felt like home.  I had travelled this road many times when we lived in Wichita Falls, but it still felt like I was getting closer and closer to where I was/am supposed to be.   And we drove straight into the arms of more "family."  

We were so lucky that the Genewicks agreed to host us -- they have grown their family by two since we left the Falls for Korea.  Just spending time with Mike, Tonya, and those boys of theirs filled that hole in my heart too. 


Then we went to Coca-Cola to catch up with my friends there and took Ms. Sue out to lunch.  Oh, how I LOVE that woman!!!!   And it was so good to see the guys at Coke.  It pained me to tell them I was only in town for a quick visit and not moving back to the area.  Again, another fill up. 

We also took a day and drove north to Oklahoma City to see another friend of ours from Korea, the Davises.  Karen is expecting and I just had to pat that belly!  Spending the day with her and Charlotte and seeing Jason quickly over lunch...  I miss this family so much and needed that sweet family to help with my refill.  We even graced the pages of her blog (here) -- take a moment to read and look in her Etsy shop.  She is an absolutely amazing and gifted person! 

We took a lot of time to visit with friends those few days in Wichita Falls.  Fill up after fill up  Looking back now, I still didn't see everyone I initially intended to... guess that means I have even more of a reason to go back again (and again and again).  One day, we'll be able to take that trip I planned for us to take with Ronnie on his R&R... but this was exactly the sort of trip we needed.