Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Aloha, Hawaii Series: USS Arizona

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to the Aloha State. Today is the first day of school for the girls and Ronnie went back to work.  I figured I would try to get some of our trip documented in between unpacking and laundry and everything else I need to do to get ready for this move and for my mom to get here.

While Ronnie was deployed, we made a plan to have a family vacation.  You know the kind where we spend lots of uninterrupted family time with each other.  Of course, I had my ideas of where I wanted to go, the kids had theirs, and he had his.  There was only one place that satisfied all of us -- Hawaii.

I shared with my dear friend Britney that we were going to Hawaii and she suggested we look at a cruise.  I quickly told her that Ronnie was not the cruising type and that we preferred to adventure on our own.  She said that she understood but pointed me to Norwegians' Pride of America and reassured me to just look at it as an option.  I did, and boy was she right...  a 7 day cruise, just around the Hawaiian islands, no TSA, no packing/unpacking bags, no moving to different hotels.  Yep, sounded good to me.

Then I had to convince Ronnie of the same.  Luckily for me, and like the Disney races, he just didn't have the heart to tell me no.  At least, he tried, but I had a plan to sell him on it.  No TSA, built in child care, no packing and moving hotels, and we got to travel at night.  He relented/was convinced (?) And I was off making our cruise reservation.

We took off for the island paradise for a last summer hurrah, just as we did Mexico last year.  We landed late and headed straight to our hotel to get a good night's sleep.  The next morning, we got up early to get some sight seeing in before checking into the boat.  We had a date with history


For such a small island, it sure takes a while to get around.  And longer than I had anticipated.  But luck for us, when we finally got there, a tour group had turned in 4 extra tickets right in the window I was requesting.  We walked around the site and completed some of the girls' Junior Ranger program book.




Finally, it was time.  Our turn to go out to the memorial. I don't think there are words that can describe how you feel when you stand at Pearl Harbor and board the boat to head to the memorial.


As we were touring the memorial, we were approached by a Navy Commander who asked Holly if she would help her with the flag.




I stood and watched the two of them with tears in my eyes.  When the Commander came back over, I thanked her for asking Holly to assist and explained that we are a military family, but that Holly is a Girl Scout.  The Commander winked at me and said she could tell.  Guess you can always pick out a military kid from the crowd.

 


We rejoined Ronnie and Sarah and finished our tour time at the memorial explaining what an oil slick is to the kids (the oil was bubbling on that day) and paying our respects to the fallen.


We spent the remainder of our time finishing the Junior Ranger booklet and reading more of the plaques.  Before we knew it, it was time for us to head to the docks for our boat.



No comments:

Post a Comment