Friday, February 19, 2010

On the Sidelines?

Well, I've gone and done it.  Or overdone it if you will....   I have an injury. 

Rewind to me participating in the River Run on March 13th.  I have been steadily training and getting my miles in.  I won't be running the entire 15K, but my goal was to run a good bit of it. 

Last Friday, I got a great 4.5 miler in and Saturday and Sunday were to be my days of rest.  With two kids and an active life, we don't "rest" if you catch my drift.  Thus, Saturday was spent with the Girl Scouts lugging cookies back and forth and you can read about our Sunday in the Happy Lunar New Year post.  Everland is in the "hills" of Korea, which sure look like the North Carolina Mountains to me. 

I noticed my IT band was still a little sore come time for my run on Tuesday, so I took it easy with a 2.5 miler and even got 1 of the miles in on the indoor track since it was open.  Wednesday was to be a quick run as well and I had 3 miles planned.  About a mile into my run, I felt my calves tightening.  No big deal right.  I stopped, streched, got a drink of water and pressed on.  About 3 minutes later the tightening had given way to a dull pain, so I slowed down my pace.  Unfortunately, the pain persisted and I wound up with only 1.5 miles completed. 

When I got off the treadmill, my calves were really tight and there was a persistent dull pain in my inner calf.  I finished up my cardio round with a little cross training and then called it a day.

Guess I'm lucky I stopped when I did, because I hobbled out of bed yesterday morning and I still have some tenderness two days later.  I've been "resting" as much as a stay at home mom can, but no running will be done until the tenderness is gone.  Then I'll gradually build back up. 

I can't tell you how bummed I am right now.  I've been benched from training and I haven't gotten half the distance covered yet for the race.  But I am still determined to make it on March 13th if it means I have to walk the whole damned thing. 

Stay tuned.....     And if you bet on anything, bet that my stubbornness will win and see me reach my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment