Monday, September 20, 2010

Doubling Back

Again, I'm blogging while I should be sleeping.  I'm sitting in the SeaTac USO watching the rest of my family sleep.  It's what I'm supposed to be doing as well, but I'm fighting to stay awake just a few more hours so I can crash on the airplane.  Exhausted doesn't start to describe how I'm feeling right now.  My body has no idea what time zone it's supposed to be in.  I think I'm about 6 hours off from the time in Korea; just in time to try to adjust it back, right?  

Well, we've had a whirlwind visit to the States.  We were in Seattle for two days visiting my grandma, two of my uncles and my cousin Emily.  While I wish we could have visited with everyone, it was great to see who we could while we were there.  We haven't been up that way since the girls were tiny.   

On Thursday, we took off for Dayton.  Our plane left at 12 noon, but we had to get on the road early to cross downtown Seattle.  Note to self - midday flights are good, but take into account travel time and rush hour traffic.  We made good time and hung out in the USO for a bit.  The SeaTac USO is really nice.  The girls ate a bowl of cereal and watched a movie while Ronnie and I made sure we had everything lined up for our return hop.  The people that work in there are uber-helpful and pointed us to everywhere and everything we needed.   Before we knew it, it was time to head to Dayton.  We landed seven hours later --yes there's a layover in there -- and were greeted in the terminal by my mom and dad!  

My parents and my sister and her family made the trip to cheer Ronnie on in the marathon.  It was awesome to visit with them, although we were still massively jet lagged.  Besides the marathon, we were able to visit a corn maze, go to a street fair, and quickly browse the Air Force Museum.  We also got to meet up with a good friend of ours who is stationed at Wright-Patterson.  Before we knew it, it was time to hug and kiss everyone goodbye as we headed back to Seattle for our hop. 

Little did we know that would be a long trip back.  Our plane was delayed two hours out of Dayton and we missed our connection to Seattle.  But the airline put us up for the night at DFW and we were on the first flight out the next morning.  When we finally made it here this morning, we had less than twelve hours until roll call.  My aunt scooped us up to hang out for the day.  

After grabbing a hand-patted hamburger, we headed to the mall.  A few weeks ago, Holly announced that she was ready to get her ears pierced and we told her we would get it done while we were on our trip.  We headed back to my aunt's house to relax and visit with my cousins Cindy and Matt, and their children, who dropped in to say hello.   At last it was time to eat some dinner and head for the airport. 

We checked in, got the briefing, and after about an hour, roll call began.  We were the first ones called!  Which brings us to hanging out in the USO, relaxing before our flight begins. 

Like I said, whirlwind visit, but filled with lots of fun memories.  Now to just get Ronnie to sit down and blog about the marathon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment