I have to admit, I was kind of excited to see a storm. Ronnie and I are native Floridians, and it really doesn't feel like summer is coming to an end or back to school time if there isn't a threat of a tropical depression. We haven't been through one since Bonnie and Danielle came to visit us in North Carolina for Holly's birth and then we were chased around Florida by Charley, Ivan and Jeanne when we brought Holly there to show her off.
Earlier in the week, some weather briefs came out and mentioned the possibilty of a storm heading our way later in the week. We checked the weather and kept an eye out on everything. By Wednesday they determined that yes, the storm was coming, it would be around a Cat. 1 storm and it had the potential of turning and hitting us head on. Again, being that we're used to this sort of thing, I had run down my essentials list a few weeks ago and determined that we were ready to rock and roll.
Wednesday morning imagery
Typhoon Kompasu made landfall in Seoul early Thursday. This was the first typhoon to hit Seoul since 2000, and the first big one since 1995. The local area seemed to be pretty lucky. There were a lot of downed trees and some power outages, but nothing too significant. Actually, the damage on base seemed to be worse than what we saw off base. We lost power for about two hours, but some folks on base are still without power right now.
So, our first typhoon was a success, if there is such a thing. Ronnie and I haven't lost a step in being prepared in advance of a storm, we had plenty of food, alternate sources of cooking and the kids had plenty of things to occupy themselves with during the time we were home, and I was able to do the sorting/purging I've been trying to get too but it's been too hot.


No comments:
Post a Comment