There's a point in your life where when someone says you act like your mother, you say thank you because it's a big compliment. I'm not sure where that point was, but I am my mother and I don't mind it at all. I hear her words coming out of my mouth even before they register with me that I had heard them somewhere in my upbringing. To be fair, I also have my fair share of things my dad used to tell me coming out of my mouth as well.
Pearls of wisdom like: "if you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough", "Shhhhhh - the news is on", and my personal favorite "do you just want to be average in your life, or do you want to be excellent." They are all favorites really, because there is one pearl that has successfully been passed down to the next generation. The Plan.
My sister and I were raised with "The Plan" (read more here). But I say successfully because of this fantastic exchange I was privy to the other day.
Last week, we were driving somewhere with the girls. As usual, they are chatting away in the back seat about who did what, said what, ate/picked/hit what or who. I had mentioned to the girls that the Smiley family was going to have baby Hudson joining them soon. The following conversation ensued:
Sarah: I want to be a mommy
Holly: Well, you can't be a mommy yet Sarah. You're not big.
Sarah: But I still want to have a baby.
And then, it happened. Water parted, Angels sang, and there were harps playing. Because then Holly said, "Well, you can't have a baby until you're married Sarah. And you can't get married until you get done with school, and you're not even in Kindergarten yet. So you have to wait. Because you have to go to school, then get married, and then have babies."
She skipped the part about getting a job, but I was really proud anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment