Sunday, January 23, 2011

Growing Fins

Ronnie and I are really strong swimmers.  During the summer, if we weren't playing basketball/baseball or whatever sport of the day, we would be swimming in the Tobin's pool (another boy in the neighborhood).  There were many times where I remember being there when the day started and not leaving until my mom called me home for dinner. 

Yet, with all the swimming we've done, all the red cross lessons, life guarding and swim/dive team participation we've had, our children cannot swim. 

We've tried teaching them, but to no avail.  They just haven't been interested enough to want to do it.  There was always something more fun going on rather than try to learn how to float.  It's bitten them in the butt more than once, as they have both been in trouble in the water.  Luckily, Ronnie and I have been right there to save them. 

But all of that is changing, with the help of some positive peer pressure.  Friday night, Holly was invited to a pool party for one of her friends.  But, Holly was one of only three kids who had to wear a lifevest.  After an hour, Holly came to me and asked if Daddy could try teaching her how to swim again soon. 

Ah, the spark of interest!   Finally!   We set off for the pool this afternoon and set about teaching Holly how to swim.  After about five minutes in the pool with Ronnie, she was treading water really well.  After ten, she was really swimming.  She doesn't get anywhere really quickly, but she's learned how to hold her breath under water and breathe when appropriate.   Ronnie and I had originally thought we would try 15 - 20 minutes for lessons and then back off, but Holly kept insisting to go one more time.  By the time we left the pool, Holly could successfully "fall" in the pool, submerge under water and get back to the side without the usual flailing and floundering. 

I had Sarah with me, who was practicing some of the same moves.  She's not as interested as Holly is, but I have all ideas that will change once Holly gets to go swimming by herself.

Without further adieu, the newest fish in the family (this was after 10 minutes with Ronnie):

1 comment: