Thursday, August 18, 2011

Déjà vu

We got back to Korea late last night.  Our adventure in Seattle was short and sweet.  We had a definite silver lining on our emergency leave in that our next assignment is to the place we happened to port out of (for you non-military folks, that means where we enter and exit the States).  We decided to look around and get to know the area and neighborhoods. 

Well, we found more than we bargained for:  we found a HOUSE!!!!!  It's a beautiful rental and is another military family's "forever home."  We cannot believe our luck in finding it and having it be available right in the timeframe we need.   It is a beautiful home and we cannot wait to get there and have guests.  As househunting trips go, we didn't get to visit any with my family up that way.  But no worries because we'll definitely be back.

On Wednesday, we started our long journey back to Korea.  I was initially concerned that our flight would be delayed, as we had a layover in Tokyo, and we would miss the last bus home.  As usual, Korea exceeds my expectations, though the flight on United left me less than satisfied (that's another post in and of itself).  We landed, were through immigration, gathered our bags, cleared customs and still had time to use the restroom before we caught our bus back to Songtan in less than an hour.  Oh, and we caught the bus before the last bus home.  

As I was drifting in and out of sleep on the bus, I noticed that the driver was listening to some classic American music, interspersed with Korean commentary.  I'm sure they were introducing the songs, the period, the type/genre, and the like, though I really wasn't paying attention.  Not until I caught myself humming and singing right along to John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads."  I opened my eyes and noticed we were on a rice patty road just a few miles away from Osan.  Talk about a different interpretation of that song and a not quite right moment.    

With just landing, I'm unpacking our bags and doing laundry while I draft up this and some of the other blogs.  The déjà vu that titles this post comes in with packing.... it seems that all I ever lately is pack or unpack. Packing to go on a trip, packing to come back home, packing up the house to move across the ocean again.   One day those country roads will lead me to my final home that I pack up my house for the last time....  Until then, the Air Force beckons us to make our next home and start the next chapter in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment