Monday, April 30, 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week 18

Like my friend Jenn said in her post, you know this one was coming eventually. Well it's here....   "Work Up a Sweat" is the challenge for this week. 

Alright, I am not going to go on and on and on about the benefits of exercise, because if you don't know then where have you been?   The current daily recommendation for adults is 20 minutes of aerobic activity a day, 2 hours and 30 minutes a week.  That's it.  It can be done via yardwork, walking around a local park, or even playing tag with your kids.  The point is just to move and get that heart rate up. 

So what do I do on a weekly basis that I count as overt exercise:

I posted last week that I was starting my running plan again.  It's going swimmingly by the way, but we didn't get into the Nike Women's Marathon.  So I will be running the "Race for a Soldier" in September.  Cut  my training plan by 3 weeks, but that's alright...  I was milking it anyhow.  This week is week 2 of a couch-to-5K program. 

I also am a Body Pumper and I currently go twice a week.  It's an aerobic weightlifting class and it totally kicks ass. 


So try building on the success you had in Moving More (week 3, remember???).  Spring is here, summer for some of the areas.  If you have a hard time figure out what to do, try biking with the kids, train for a 5K (most are for charities), or just get out and take a walk at sunset. 


Other resources:

CDC Guidelines on Adult Activity:  http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html 

Couch to 5K program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml


The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes