Seriously, I may have a problem. It took everything I had to not sign up for the Half Marathon -- especially when I realized I wasn't going to get a medal for this one. Just call me "Will run for medals."
Ronnie ran the half last year and I've enjoyed a few runs around downtown Olympia, so I already knew what to expect: a HUGE hill or two, but mostly flat in between. What I didn't bet on was how pretty the run would be. Spring is definitely here! Flowers are blooming; trees are budding a beautiful spring green; and the birds are chirping.
After they let the marathoners and half marathoners start, it was time for us five milers to run! Of course, the first mile was all uphill. If you've ever driven around downtown Olympia, we ran up the hill on Capital Way. OUCH! I had already decided to walk up that bad boy -- no need in fighting and my "run" wouldn't be more than a walk anyhow. Before I knew it, I was passing mile 1 and the course had leveled out and it was time to run!
Most of the course was through the historic district and neighborhoods around the capital. It reminded me of running the River Run in Jacksonville -- there were so many people out and cheering.
As I neared the mile 3 marker, I looked up and saw this... Galloway street. I ♥ Jeff Galloway! I only hope the man know how much of an inspiration he is to so many.
At mile four, I saw these ladies standing on the corner. They were cheering and saying, only a mile left and it's all downhill from here! I laughed and laughed -- unfortunately my picture with them didn't turn out. But the camera guy on the course caught one of me and the capital building. After the capital building I faced that hill again... this time I ran down the thing. Running downhill definitely hurts and jars the joints a little more, but the finish line was so close so I did it anyway. And cruised to a 1:02:31 finish!


