Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Talk



This morning started as just about any other weekend morning does.  The girls let me sleep in a bit.  Eventually, I got up, got a cup of coffee, and checked the news while cuddled up with Holly on the couch. 

Sarah made her way downstairs about 10 minutes after me and needed some encouragement to not kill anyone because we did not have her favorite cereal in the pantry.  She's about the same type of morning person as I am in the morning.  Poor thing. 

Finally, it was time to start getting ready for church, so I sent the girls upstairs as I straightened the kitchen.  After I got done, I headed up the stairs and checked up on where they were at in the getting ready process.  Sarah came skipping out in a skirt and top on her way to the bathroom to brush her hair and teeth.  Holly had picked a new skirt to wear, so I helped her adjust the waistband. 

Then just as easy as the morning had been going so much, and with as much effort as asking where the bathroom was...  it happened. 

"Momma, what is puberty?"

Unfazed, I answered Holly just as easily as giving directions to the bathroom.  See, we've been talking about this stuff for awhile, so a lot of if was review of previous conversations.  But I had a feeling about this...  I told her that I was going to get ready but to come into my bathroom when she got done. 

A few minutes later, and as I was applying my makeup, she made her way into my bathroom.  We continued talking about the stages of female puberty, the changes, yada yada yada.  I wrapped it up by telling her it was no different than the seeds we just planted in our vegetable garden that would one day bear food for us. 

Yeah, that analogy was the one...  that right there.  Because she said, yeah, because it means I can have babies, right? 

**GULP!

Yes, baby it does.  (Come on Chris, keep the eyeliner straight -- don't let her see your hand trembling). 

But, how momma?  How do girls get pregnant? 

** DOUBLE GULP!!! 

Well, remember we had that talk about your body and your body parts and boy's bodies and their body parts.  Remember, mommy's have the seeds, daddy's have the water.  That's how.  (PLEASE, LORD, LET THIS BE ALL) 

Yes, but how? 

You want to know the mechanics of it? 

Yes, how do a boy and a girl have a baby?  How does the boy get the girl pregnant?


There it is.  That is the question I've been waiting for and dreading.   She's asking and is looking to me for the answer -- her momma who knows a lot of answers on Jeopardy and who's had two babies.  Certainly mommy knows this answer.  And looking at me with those crystal blue innocent eyes that just pierce my soul and make me wish that she isn't growing up so quickly.  It's time to tell her, right?

I swallowed hard.  And said, okay, let's talk.  I took her by the hand and led her to my bed and we sat. 

And that's when we had the talk.  You know THE TALK. 

I don't know how well or poor I did.  I do know that she thinks boys are gross (YES!!!!).  But I know I told her that this would be the start of many conversations we would have about her body as it changes over the next few years.  I also hugged her and told her that I loved her and thanked her for asking me. 

Here's the thing I just want her to know, I'm here to talk with her about this and anything else on her mind.  I hope she knows how much I love her and that I am trying my best.  I hope she reads this as a twenty-something and invites me over for dinner, or out to drinks, or calls me on the phone and tells me that it was the most AWKWARD talk ever -- that way she and I can have the drink I've been craving since 9 am this morning. 

One down and one to go -- so far, Sarah seems to be the most likely to beat up the boys she likes.