Monday, March 12, 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week 11

Week ten has come and gone...  Are you feeling more flexible?  I rather enjoyed last week's challenge and had fun doing a good stretch on my "off" gym days.  Especially because I increased my weight during my Body Pump class.  Streching has so many benefits not just physically but mentally.  I mean really, who doesn't feel good after they've had a good cat-like stretch? 

I'm looking forward to week 11 because it's another "hey, I already do that" challenge.  The focus of week 11 is reading the nutrition panel. The nutrition panel is mandated by the Food and Drug Administration and is there to help us "know" what is in our foods.

Back to the book, the author really breaks down what is on the panel and walks the reader through how to read it.  Being that I have been paying very close attention to nutrition panels for some time now, I got this in the bag.  I'll save my soapbox lecture for next week....  

So, challenge, read the panel...  pay attention to serving sizes, fat % per serving, and added sugars.  Read the ingredient list, it's listed by weight and tells you EXACTLY what is in the food you are about to eat.  I've included some links below to help you determine where your daily intakes should be and how to read a panel if you are new to this. 

So grab a box out of your pantry and read up...  it's pretty interesting what you'll find when you do.


Other resources:

Interactive Guide to Nutrition Facts: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-facts/NU00293

If you really, really want to get into the weeds, here are the current Dietary Guidelines.  See Appendix 5 and 6 for the breakdown by age and gender: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf


The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes