Monday, March 5, 2012

52-week Challenge: Week Ten

Here we are... week 10...  we are almost a quarter of the way through this challenge.  Last week, the focus was on more alone time.  Ronnie was TDY last week, so alone time after the kids went to bed was no problem, but I wanted to do something more "active" for my alone time, something just for me.  I scheduled a sitter to come over so I could focus on my homework and worked in a quick trip to B&N to browse.  I bought myself a coffee and just went rack to rack seeing what looked interesting.  I wish I had more time to stay and look, but who are we kidding - I can spend all day in a bookstore and never be done. 

The second thing I did was I tried to focus on not just sitting and watching TV after the kids went to bed...  so I read.  I did download some titles from Project Gutenberg, but I also had a few freebies I wanted to burn through.  How great is just a good book and a cup of tea in front of the fire?  I'll tell you, the hour I wanted to read flew by quickly and I felt totally recharged. 

And yes, I did make that massage appointment.  I have a "Spring Break" coming up next week, so I made my appointment then.  I am really looking forward to it! 

Looking forward to week 11, which is "Take Time to Stretch."  The benefits of stretching are way to numerous for me to go into here.  Look for the links at the bottom of the page. 

The challenge is to stretch a minimum of 20 minutes, three times a day.  I personally stretch a few times a day.  It's a habit of mine stemming from my days as an office worker.  I tried to get up every hour or so and roll my neck, round out my back, and stretch my legs.  You would be amazed at how cramped up you get if you sit all the time.  I've had to refocus on it recently with all the papers I have had due for my classes.  I also do a small stretch when I get out of bed.  I am not a morning person and I have to go down the steps to get to the coffee.  Do you know how hard that is if you are stiff?  It takes just a few moments a day and you feel so good after you do it.  So this is a great reminder for me to get up and stretch, and stretch out right. 

Other resources:

Why you should stretch: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/stretching_benefits.asp
And one more on the Why:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447

How to strech: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043

The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes