Monday, March 19, 2012

52-Week Challenge: Week 12

Week 12 y'all!  How was reading all those labels?  Learn something new?  Again, easy assignment for me because I have been reading labels consistently since last year's Lenten sacrifice.  I gave up high fructose corn syrup and you would be amazed at the places you would find it if you just read the labels.  What I hope this week brought was awareness to what goes into your food, and by proxy, into your body.  We have been focusing on a more clean diet around our house for a few months, being sure to only eat processed foods that have food in it and not long chemical compound names.  While I'm not perfect, we are a sure sight better off than we were. 

If you're interested in the why behind limiting processed foods, take a look at Food Inc. or read In Defense of Food

Okay, off of my soapbox now...  because I can go on and on about this subject.

This week's challenge is focusing on breathing.  And not just breathing, but deep cleansing breaths.  The type that you take at the beginning and ending of a yoga class.  The type that you take when you need a minute.  The author argues that practicing this type of breathing on a daily basis has more benefits than just calming you.  It can help with your blood pressure, aid in digestion, and bring overall stress levels lower. 

The book includes several exercises to try, and I've posted some of them below.  Try some of these breathing exercises in a few times a week.  

Other resources:

Breathing exercises: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html

The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes