Happy New Year from South Korea. It was really odd to think this morning it was not just a new day, but a new month and new year entirely for us versus the folks in the states. Strange huh?
We have been having a blast with the winter weather. Yes, it's freezing cold and the wind makes it even colder. But we have had some snow to boot, which has made it a lot of fun for the girls. Luckily, it's not too much and normally it's gone before the next dusting. I bought the girls sleds at E-Mart and they were still in the car when we happened upon a good hill. The girls had a blast playing in the snow, having daddy pull them in the sled, heading down the hill, throwing snowballs, and tasting some of the snow. They also took turns warming up in the car. All this while I got the grocery shopping done.
New Years Eve was a quiet night of food, games and movies with our good friends, the Stockmans. If you ever play Scene It TV edition, just go ahead and guess that the answer is Maude. The celebrations in South Korea were pretty much the same. They showed the Seoul celebration on TV and it was nothing like the scene in Times Square - they ring the ancient ceremonial bell and everyone was pretty stoic. Interesting.... Next year, I think we are going to try to make one of the sunset/sunrise celebrations on the coast.
Today, I made the traditional southern New Year's Day meal of black-eyed peas and cornbread, sans greens. The house smelled so good, but it made me wonder what the neighbors thought. I know I can tell when they are stir frying, but what do they think when I'm cooking. Just something I'll have to ask our neighbors one day....
As I sit here at the end of the first day of the new year, I started reflecting on last year and everything it brought us, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. Here's to 2010 and hoping we've been made stronger by our mistakes, humbled by our triumphs, and wiser by our challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment