Is everyone feeling healthier? I had my reservations about moving more than I do now, but with Snowmaggedon, I didn't have an issue getting more exercise into my day. Two days of shoveling snow, pulling kids on sleds, and moving around just to keep warm definitely upped my daily movement last week. This week I plan to continue with some of the other ideas I had posted last week. On to week four then shall we...
Week four's focus is on food journaling. Simple thought process: how can you change what you eat if you have no idea what it is you put in your mouth on a daily basis. How can be sure that you are getting the right mix of nutrients? How sure are you that you eat 2,000 calories a day (or whatever your calorie intake goal is). Journaling what you eat and how much of it is the key to answering all of these questions. There is scientific proof that journaling your food intake can double weight loss efforts and can be directly linked to maintaining a healthy weight.
Here is where I fess up, because what is more private than my confession on the internet right??? Tracking food isn't necessarily the easiest thing for me to remember to do. Actually, I do really, really good for days, sometimes weeks, at a time. Then something gets in the way and I don't do it for a day. Then that day turns into two, then into a week, and before I know it, I've gained weight. So to keep me accountable, I have been back with Weight Watchers since Thanksgiving. Nothing pisses me off more than to see money go down the drain. Accountability to the money spent and make it money spent well has been a kick in the pants for me.
One of the big things I have changed is meal planning. I plan out dinners every week. That way my food budget and shopping stays in line, I have everythign on hand, and we aren't left scrambling for dinner nightly. The payoff for me personally is that I know exactly what I will eat for dinner and put those calories in first thing in the morning. Then I know what I have to work with for the rest of the day. I'm on Pinterest and post my meal plans there if you want to peak at what's gracing our dinner table. http://pinterest.com/cmoliver1019/meal-planning/
There are so many different options out there for food journaling, it's almost ridiculous and definitely overwhelming. Weight Watchers isn't the only name in the game and there are several free resources you can tap into this week. Below, I've pasted some of my preferred trackers as well as links to information on "how-to's."
And of course, I fully expect to see everyone's journal next week. I kid -- I kid :)
So sharpen those pencils and let's get going....
Other resources:
The book we're following: http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1
Jenn's blog: http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes
Printable Food/Exercise Journal: http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/food-fitness-journal
Tips for Journaling: http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/iworkout/insidepage.aspx?uid=de9e5a4b-90e2-4dba-916b-9fe4cac7dc83
Online Jornaling:
SparkPeople - http://www.sparkpeople.com/landing_short_v5.asp?gclid=COSik-345q0CFQWDhwodAhyzTQ
My Fitness Pal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/