Monday, January 9, 2012

52-Week Challenge: One Down

So, did you float away with last week's challenge of drinking more water?  I already had a head start on this one since I've been focusing on what I put in my body for a few weeks.  But it was a great reminder to do something so basic...  A hydrated body burns calories more efficiently, thus making my workouts that much better.  As I'm writing this, I've already downed 12 oz of water this morning. 

Week two is a bit more of a challenge for me...    Get Your Zzzzzz's - get seven to eight hours of restful sleep every night.    Oh boy!  I'm on the night owl side by nature.  Ask my family if you can get anything out of me that isn't a scowl or growl before 9 am or before I have a cup of coffee in my hands.  Seriously -- even the cat knows not to mess with me until I have my coffee.  Since I'm not working right now, I have a bad habit of giving in to my night owl tendencies.  I'm going to bed way too late, leading me to want to linger in bed in the morning, take a nap in the afternoon, which then gets me in bed way too late again.

I need to get my schedule back on track after the Christmas break.  The girls headed back to school last week and I start back today.  Best time to make a change is when you are setting up a schedule, so that's my plan for today, though I started my sleep last night.  Ronnie is in the field this week, so I went to bed early last night. I was in bed at 9 pm, finished watching my show and it was lights out at 10:15 pm.  Not necessarily uninterrupted, but I feel great this morning... and it's 8:30 am - yes, I'm blogging at 8:30 in the morning! Holy smokes there just might be something to this.

So change those sheets today (because isn't falling into clean sheets the absolute best feeling?!?!), get everything done, and don't linger on that couch tonight.  Get your sleep and your body will be glad you did. 

Other resources:

The book we're following:  http://www.amazon.com/52-Small-Changes-Healthier-ebook/dp/B0056J4ER0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325722556&sr=1-1

Jenn's blog:  http://thewoogies.blogspot.com/search/label/52%20Small%20Changes

How to Sleep Better Tonight (articles and tips):  http://www.health.com/health/condition-section/0,,20187915,00.html